Together we are on a mission, a mission to sustain our histories based in and around our Long Ridge School, Mars Hill Anderson Rosenwald School, its history, and therefore the history of all who attended and all who were impacted.
There is a richness in history, and when I think about the story of our school, it embraces this richness and it embodies a soulfulness.
As time has passed, much has transpired among the families of MHARS and with the physical building. This Newsletter is to update you with all of the changes, and includes the following:
- Our Alumni/ae
- Our Connections:
- Madison County Board of Education (MCBE; owner of the historic property)
- National Historic Registry
- National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Madison County Tourism Development Authority (TDA)
- NC Dept. of Natural & Cultural Resources
- US Dept. of the Interior
- Partnership for Appalachian Girls’ Education (PAGE)
- Collaborations and Future Programs
- Membership in MHARS Friends Group
- Remembering those we have lost
- Dr. Will Hoffman, Superintendent, Madison County Schools
- Commemorative Window Project
- Facility Rehabilitation/Renovation
- Les Reker – Les made the suggestion to create a Newsletter
- Maia Surdam – Contributing article / PAGE Program
- Jenny Pickens – Contributing article / Artist in Residence
- Dr. Will Hoffman – Contributing article / MCBE
- Willa Wyatt – Window Replacement Form and details
- Madison County Board of Education – mailings
- Andy Reed – Editing, Assisted with page layout, Feedback, Photos, providing the PDF, holding the vision, and patience
- Fatimah’ R. Shabazz – Contributing articles, focus, vision & purpose, gathering data, providing photos, remembrances, calendar details, assisted with page layout, proofing, feedback, printing, emailings, holding the vision, gathering and organizing contact info of alumni, family members, and Friends Group for mailing and emailings.
The Newsletter will be a quarterly publication. The next one is planned for February 2022. Much will be transpiring between now and February, including Celebratory Events leading to our Annual Homecoming in Sept. 2022.
Please contact Fatimah’ (email@example.com or 828-273-4236) to include articles, photos, etc. for the next issue.
Link to pdf file: Alumni & Family News – Vol 1 No. 1